Sections

Sunday, 30 March 2014

Hawken Game Review

There are several reasons for which I don't like Hawken.

So, for those of you who don't know, (probably noone), Hawken is a Free To play First Person Shooter where you control a mech and fight against other mechs.

That seemed really cool to me so I gave it a try but this game is pasable, it isn't good.

The customisation options are average/poor, which is a shame given what you would expect of a mech game is being able to modify your mech, what it looks like, different parts, but that seems very limited to non existent in Hawken.

Well, that isn't really the worst part because for me, the gunplay is terrible. The gun models are static. This is unforgivable. No mech game should have static guns, I mean the huge badass guns is the whole point of the game, but here, guns are static and offer no satisfaction when shooting. In other words, this game also botched up the gunplay section.
Now there are different classes, although it seems to me that some classes are awful (One of them even has a shotgun that does no close range damage, I mean what's the point of that), while others are a bit better, pushing people to take the same classes.

Other than that, the general gameplay you'll get is "stay with your team or you'll die" so you can forget about being the guy behind the ennemy lines, taking them all out all by yourself, it is impossible to do as a 2 Vs 1 fight is extremely unfair for the solo mech.
I do however recognise an original way of restoring life points (though once again pushing the "stick together or die" gameplay)
And I will commend the game on it's well thought out tutorial (even if it bugged and asked me to do the whole thing twice)

Other than that, also a part of the gameplay are the maps, which at first glance seem okay but on second thought are extremely bad at bringing out the fact that you have a jetpack. There will always be unreachable ledges or stuff like that that will just simply break your immersion in the game (that's if you haven't noticed the static models).
The graphics (because that tends to be importnat in nowadays games too) are average, not good, not bad, maybe a bit blocky.
The level design is once again poor and it feels... square... I don't know if you get what I mean.

The matches I've played resumed to me running around the map in circles with an ally...

What else to say? (did I mention the static models? no. I really won't let go of that one.)

My final verdict is a 6/10, with great deception when starting to play, I expected (and wanted) better.

You can find out more about hawken on the official site here or go on it's Steam page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment